Wednesday, November 19, 2014

What's New in my Diabetic Journey

I know it's been a long time since I've posted here, but in addition to being a type 2 diabetic, I am also a homeschool mom with a son who works part-time and requires me for transportation, and I am a writer who is trying to write devotions, magazine articles, and fictional stories in addition to this blog and a writing blog (which I am sorry to say, for those of you who are interested in this blog, is my priority).  So, needless to say, I am very busy.

However, something major happened in September of this year and following that I felt it was well worth sharing.  Actually, it began before September.  I would get frequent times where I would suffer pain in the center of my chest in the area of the body of my sternum.  Then I would get nausea and would eventually vomit, after which all pain went away and I was fine.  At first I thought I had some weird kind of 24 hour bug, but as it began to happen periodically, I began to wonder.  Then on Monday, September 22, 2014, I had the same thing occur but with much more intense pain that shot through to my back, and this time, when I vomited, I got no relief.  My husband took me to the doctor who wasn't sure what it was but said it could be a gall bladder problem.  He said if the pain got worse I should go to the hospital.  Well, I ended up waking my husband up at midnight because the pain was so bad I could not get comfortable or sleep.  We arrived at the ER about 12:30 a.m. Tuesday, September 23rd.  We remained in the ER until 8:30 a.m. and they took blood to test, they took X-rays and they gave me an ultrasound, and finally, gave me something for pain.  It was determined that I have gall stones and I was released with the instructions to avoid the following foods:  anything greasy, fatty or fried, dairy, chocolate, pretty much the American diet.  I was told to eat fruits and vegetables and bland foods.  So that's what I began to do.

Then on Friday, September 26th, I shared this information with two friends and one of them gave me a business card and said that I needed to call that person, who turned out to be a chiropractor/nutritionist.  I called and made an appointment and I have to say that's the best thing I could have done.  The medical doctors wanted me to have surgery to remove my gall bladder.  The chiropractor/nutritionist had a better idea.  She tested my heart and did a muscle test.  She sat down and explained how unhealthy I was, and how certain foods have huge amounts of the things are bodies need to be healthy, and she gave me some natural whole food supplements and a folder with some other information.

I took the folder home and read everything in it, and it included a plan for healthy eating.  I looked it over carefully and thought it looked do-able.  I decided to follow it and to fill out the food logs included in the folder as well.

Well, the first week wasn't the easiest week to try to follow this new plan because we went on vacation, and we had free breakfast each morning at the hotel, we ate empanadas (little Spanish meat pies) that I had made to take along for lunches to save money, and we ate dinner out every night.  I made the best choices I could for breakfast and for every dinner.  I thought I did pretty well considering the circumstances.

When we returned from vacation, I really got serious about this food plan and let me tell you, I have been following it for about 1 1/2 months now, and I have already lost some weight, and I feel really good and have lots more energy than I've had in quite some time.

For the first three weeks, I went to the chiropractor/nutritionist once a week.  The third week, she told me to come back in two weeks.  Yesterday, she was extremely pleased with my food charts and said that I was much stronger and had more energy and that I should only come back in three weeks!  And, when she tested me yesterday, she found no sign of gall stones!  She has me on two whole food supplements that are supposed to help the body rid itself of the stones or help the stones dissolve, and I have had no gall attacks since the one on September 22nd, and I am not having my gall bladder removed!

I plan to follow this healthy eating for the rest of my life, and I believe that I will eventually be able to stop taking the medications I am on for the type 2 diabetes and things the doctors consider related, because since I've been following this healthy eating plan, my blood sugars have been great and remain steady.

I'm sure you want to know all about this healthy eating plan, but this post is long enough.  I will try to post about my eating program before the week is over.

No comments:

Post a Comment