Monday, April 21, 2014

Chocolate, Peanut Butter and Healthy!

I usually make peanut butter and coconut cream eggs for Easter, but since being diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes, I didn't want to make them and have them around to tempt me.

So, imagine my delight when my youngest child brought home a recipe book for a "Healthy Snacks" class that included a Healthier Peanut Butter Eggs recipe!  I love chocolate and peanut butter together!  So happy we didn't have to forgo the peanut butter eggs for Easter after all, AND I like these even better than my original sugar-filled recipe!  I think they are more peanut buttery and more creamy!  So, this may be too late for you to make for Easter, but who says you can only eat them at Easter anyway?

Healthier Peanut Butter Eggs

1 cup natural peanut butter
1/3 cup Quick Oats
3 Tbsps. raw honey (I used regular, because I didn't have raw on hand)
1 Tbsp. powered sugar (I didn't use this in mine)

Directions:  Blend everything together in a food processor until oatmeal is mixed in well.  (I don't have a food processor, so I blended the oatmeal in my blender until it was like fine powder, then I mixed it well with the peanut butter and honey.)  Use a small scoop and scoop mixture on to wax paper (I rolled them in my hands).  Refrigerate until firm and dip in chocolate.  (I put mine in the freezer for 20 minutes.  That worked better and kept them from falling apart while dipping.)  Add sprinkles or drizzle melted white chocolate over eggs, if desired.

I coated some with regular milk chocolate for my family and used sugar-free coating chocolate to coat some for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment