Monday, February 24, 2014

My Diabetic Story

Apparently, if you have multiple blogs with Blogger, you can't vary your "About" section for each one.  I tried because the "About" section on my other blog really doesn't apply to this blog.  Therefore, I am not creating an "About" section on this blog.
So, today's post will begin with my Diabetic story.  In the summer of 2011, I was diagnosed with Lyme Disease and a couple of weeks later with Type 2 Diabetes.  The Lyme was caught early and I was put on antibiotics and that took care of it.  The Type 2 Diabetes, of course, is a different story.
When I received my diagnosis, I didn't accept it because I had no symptoms -- no persistent thirst or abnormal numbers of trips to the bathroom or anything.
Now it's 2014 and I have gone through periods of trying to accept it and live healthier.  I have attended the local Diabetic educational classes to learn more, but I still didn't really accept it until a couple of weeks ago.  I did subscribe to "Diabetic Living" magazine and I like it enough to read it from cover to cover each time it arrives in my mailbox.  But it only arrives quarterly.  It didn't prove enough motivation until I sat down to read the current issue Spring 2014, and I read the article "Denying your Diabetes" and read the words that a wife had written to her husband:  "My wife wrote me a letter explaining that I was a very selfish person -- that I wasn't taking into account anyone else's feelings.  She wanted me to be around for our son's life.  She wanted him to have a father."
I am married and have three children, one of which is grown but still single and at home and I want to be around for my children.  I hope to be around to spoil my grandchildren.  I didn't realize that ignoring my diabetes was being selfish.  I am the wife and mother.  I am used to taking care of everyone else and sacrificing my own needs and/or desires.  After reading those words of that wife to her husband, I realized that not taking care of myself is not doing anyone any good, and I decided to get serious about this diabetes stuff.
I decided to plan all of our evening meals again and use diabetic recipes.  I decided that I didn't have to give up desserts, I just need to make diabetic-friendly desserts, which really do taste good.  Then, I decided to start this blog to keep myself motivated and accountable.  So far, so good.
Tomorrow, I will post about my diabetic recipe resource, my exercise and some more specific statistics on my diabetes.

No comments:

Post a Comment